4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another
The Nature of Church Membership
Membership in a local church was God’s idea! The Bible says that we are like a human body, made up of many different parts working together in harmony and unity to accomplish His work (1 Corinthians 12:18-21). God’s plan is that we not stay on the fringes as disengaged spectators, but that we unite with one another and work together toward meeting needs and advancing His purposes. Joining in membership with a church is a commitment to Christ Himself, since it’s His body, and a commitment to one’s fellow members. It’s a beautiful and biblical thing!
Becoming a Member at Bible Baptist
To unite with Bible Baptist, join us in moving through three phases:
1. Get to know each other. First, be our guest in the worship services and allow us to get to know one another. Ask questions, share needs, learn names and see whether we’re a fit. Kick the tires a bit! A leader in the church will be eager to meet up with you for a one-on-one discussion to share the beliefs of our church and to discuss your own spiritual journey thus far.
2. Be introduced to the congregation. Once someone has received Jesus Christ as his or her personal Savior, the next step is baptism. When people are baptized at Bible Baptist, that step also triggers membership, as it did with believers and churches in the New Testament (Acts 2:41). For others wishing to unite with us in membership, who have previously been saved and baptized elsewhere, we introduce them to our church family during a worship service, and vote to receive them into our membership.
3. Participate in Starting Point. Every three months, we offer the four-week Starting Point gathering, where Pastor Christoson spends time with the newest attenders at Bible Baptist. This class is for both those interested in membership and those who have recently taken the step of membership. We discuss our values, beliefs, purpose and spiritual growth strategy. Each session includes a biblical lesson, helpful resources, questions-and-answers and refreshments. Call or email the church office to RSVP for the next Starting Point gathering!
Why Become a Member of a Local Church?
There are several biblical reasons to unite with a local assembly in membership. Being a member of a local church:
- Gives me an environment in which to grow spiritually. Acts 2:42, 14:22-23, Hebrews 10:24-25
- Identifies me with my fellow believers. Ephesians 2:19, 1 Peter 2:9-12
- Allows for genuine friendships, edifying relationships, and voluntary accountability. Romans 16:1–6, James 5:16, Proverbs 27:17
- Enables burdens to be shared and loads to be lightened. Galatians 6:1-5, 10, Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, Acts 4:32-37
- Builds a prayer network, for mutual intercession. Acts 12:5-12, Romans 15:30, 1 Timothy 2:1, 5:5
- Places me under the spiritual protection of spiritual leaders. Hebrews 13:17, Acts 20:28–29
- Provides a means to honor God financially by supporting local and world evangelism. 1 Corinthians 16:1-2, Philippians 4:14-18
- Serves as a place for me to bring others, so they may hear the gospel. Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 17:1-4
- Creates an opportunity to discover and exercise my spiritual gifts. Romans 12:6-8, 1 Timothy 4:14, 1 Peter 4:10
- Connects me to something eternal and more significant than myself. Romans 12:4-5, Colossians 3:1-3